Sunday 2 April 2017

The old nemesis returns.

Back to the plot again on a lovely sunny spring day. But wait... whats this I see? Lots of things sticking up everywhere.

Well the first sticky up thing is easy to deal with. It's a flower on the rhubarb. Well, like last time, it gets the chop.

But the other sticky up things are my old nemesis, BINDWEED. Yes, the warm soil has pushed the rhizomes into sprouting. So whilst the wife sat down to plant on some of our sproutings, I went weed hunting. Problem is, this stuff just doesn't want to die. "I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

But there are some sticky up bits missing in the greenhouse. Mr Mousie has been nibbling at my Pak Choi.

Fortunately I have some more on a higher shelf where he can't reach which is doing much better..

And my Yin Yang beans have finally made an appearance too.

Last week I was toying with ideas over the shelves in the new greenhouse. Whilst I was typing up the blog entry, an idea occurred to me. Why not simply cut the pallet right the way down the middle, then slide the offset slats into the gaps and re-nail closed. Well it works. OK, I had to sacrifice some of the slats due to them having extra large blocks underneath, but I can soon patch up the gaps.

Now I just need to make some legs for it to raise it a bit and do the same to the other pallet for the other side, and we should have some decent shelving. Ideal for tomatoes.

Meanwhile the wife was happily potting on the various plants. Oh, and she planted about another 10 strawberries.

And all this was overseen by our feathered overlord.

Who gleefully helped himself to the worms and grubs I uncovered whilst weeding all the grass and bindweed. Guess I'll have more of the same next week. And the week after... and the week after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?