Sunday 12 March 2017

Getting there

I like to be able to tell you that the new greenhouse is finished. But I can't. I don't have enough glass or perspex to actually finish it. So at the moment one half of the north side wall is open to the elements.

But lets wind the clock back to yesterday. Yesterday was nice and sunny. So we concentrated on actually getting stuff done on the plot. So much so that I neglected to actually take any photos.

Whilst I was trying to play tetris with the glass on the greenhouse, to make things fit, the wife was planting more strawberries (yes, more) and digging over a bed to get things ready for her cape gooseberries.

Now today was an entirely different kettle of fish. I left first thing because I was doing shop duty. And whilst yesterday was sunny, today was grey, overcast and rainy. So working on the last little bits of the green house took place inside the greenhouse. Fortunately it was just the door and the two sides on the north wall. So I managed to get those done in the relative dry.

So what else to do whilst I was there? Well it's that time of the year when everybody gets planting. Here it was no different. Today I planted:


I managed to pick up some cheap pots at a pound store near where I work. They're cheap, nasty but should do the job for one season anyway.

So, by now it's late in the day, and I missed breakfast. Fortunately I have a stash of emergency food in the shed. So I fired up the Ghillie Kettle and one cup of coffee and a Mountain House Vegetable Tikka with Rice later, I was ready to carry on.

I had a few other odds-and-ends lying around that needed planting up as well. So back with the planting I go.

It's been a long cold day. But I did manage to get a lot done today. The second greenhouse still needs work. Whether I can get hold of some additional perspex for the remaining sections, or simply build a wood wall from the pallet wood I have remains to be seen. But it certainly means the plot is looking a lot more productive now.

Though I probably need shelves in there as well. So much more to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?