Sunday 19 March 2017

Breezy days

It's been a blustery day down the plot. Overcast, but fortunately the rain held off.

So now I have the second greenhouse up, I really ought to consider getting some sort of shelving in there. Fortunately I have some nice long wooden pallets which might do the job. Unfortunately though, they happen to be too long. So after sawing off the two ends a bit they now do fit.

But the bad news is that it's too wide for the smaller greenhouse. Guess I need to get sawing off the end of those slats. Still not sure whether I should raise them any higher. My thinking is that having one side lower means I could have some tall growing plants, such as Tomatoes, placed there. I guess I'll keep the shelves low for this first year and see how it goes. But I definitely need to trim down the width otherwise there will be no way to actually get into the greenhouse in the first place.

Although thinking about it, I might be able to cheat somewhat by simply cutting down the middle of the pallet. That way I could offset the slats and nail them across. The shelves would be narrower thereby solving the width problems, but would be more structurally sound. What do you think?

So whilst I was mucking about with shelves and building a new raised bed frame, the wife was busy planting more seeds in the original greenhouse.

But last weeks plants are off to a great start. Our courgettes are already sprouting up and trying to take over the world again.

So things are starting to move along on the plot. Hopefully as it gets lighter in the evenings, I will be able to pop down after work for a bit to get more jobs done. So roll on summer time because that shed of mine is a bit full and needs a damn good sorting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?