Sunday 25 May 2014

Problem with spinach

I have a problem with spinach. Not so much the eating it part. The part where it goes to seed and cuts out all light from my greenhouse.


I tried cutting it down to size, but I hit another size problem. Namely the capacity of my compost tower. I am loathe to throw away stuff which can be used on my plot. And throwing away perfectly good plant matter which has taken nutrients from the soil is one such issue. So I only chopped back about a quarter of it. I'll let that quarter gradually decompose in the tower before I cut a bit more down. And so on.

Meanwhile I finished the second raised bed and planted both of them. The one closest to the camera are three marrows, which the farthest (under fleece to keep foxy from nosing around) is leaf beet.

Yes, the bed I put in yesterday, I raked the soil out nice and level. This morning when I turned up, there was nice foxy footprints in there. Guess our resident has been checking over my handiwork.

And on the subject of handiwork, the old sign was falling down and a bit tattered and battered. So I decided to make a new plot sign. The original thought was to use my fresnel lens to burn the number on a spare bit of wood from the waste bays. But I found a nice white piece and it tends to resist the suns rays somewhat. So I guess that I'll have to settle for paint.

At least the sign will match the title of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?