Sunday 15 September 2013

The end of the Tomatoes

Well it seems the Tomatoes have come to the end of their run. Not that there have been many mind you. I think the problem is the lack of pollination. Keeping them in the greenhouse has meant that the poor old bees haven't managed to get in and pollinate them. So, although there have been plenty of flowers, few of them have set.

Well I stripped out the remaining plants. Leaving just a few of my bigger ones to see if any further ones ripen.

All the ripe, and larger unripe ones were duly collected.

The remains of the tomato plants ended up cut into pieces and now decorate the inside of my compost bins.

Now the weather has turned, the rain is coming down in buckets. Good job I put the water butts on the greenhouse when I built it. Little Butt (further from the camera) is full to overflowing. Big Butt (closer) has a few more inches to go.

But at least the rain seems to have perked up the apple tree. I guess it'll be next week when I harvest them.
But they are going to need a lot of work. Most of them have been munched by worms and such. Guess I could juice them and turn them into apple juice (or cider).

The courgettes seem to have slowed down production. But they still turn out enough for dinner and a few spare for my work colleagues.

And there is even a BIG one for seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?