Tuesday 30 July 2013

Fruiting, flowering and failing

There are always good things and bad things down on the allotment. The excellent weather we have been having recently (all that hot stuff) as caused havoc in the greenhouse. The Basil has bolted to seed. The Tomatoes got very dry and started turning a little brown and toasty around the edges. But I may have managed to recover them enough. We have our first tomato ripening on the vine.

There are others around, but they are still pretty green. I've been alternating the waterings with Tomorite in an effort to boost the plants health. But I fear that the heat in the greenhouse may have damaged them beyond repair.

Meanwhile outside, the courgettes that were planted into the mound have started going great guns. Looks like we're in for a few if these are anything to go by.

There are wispy fronds on the sweet corn as well. So it looks like we'll be having a few of those on the barbie at some point.

I've had plenty of blackfly around. But one thing that has been lacking this year is a Ladybird. Well now I've seen my first one of the year. On my artichokes too.

And on the subject of artichokes, the flowers are opening on them. Looks like the bees really love them. But when are we supposed to eat them? (the artichokes, not the bees) Guess I need to go and research them a little more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?