Sunday 16 June 2013

Peas grow faster than sweetcorn

So my thought was that I would try a "three sisters" planting method, but instead of beans, use peas. When I planted out the sweetcorn I dropped a couple of peas into the rootball so that they could grow up the sweetcorn as it grows.

Nice idea. Just one problem. The peas grow faster.

So now my corn is being swamped  Which means I need something to support the peas. Fortunately I loads of wood left over from when the silver birch was cut down outside my house, and I have jute string. So I built a framework to support the peas.

Meanwhile the raspberry bush that I have sort of ignored has managed to grow and produce a nice crop of flowers. Unfortunately it is right next to the path and makes walking past a little difficult. So I pulled out my trusty Stanley knife and whittled the ends of a couple of sticks into a nice sharp point and jammed them deep into the ground. Again with the jute string and now it's not so floppy. It probably won't survive a really windy day, but it'll do the trick for now.

And finally the apple tree seems to be coming along nicely. There are loads of apples growing of the branches. Hopefully a few of them will make it to full ripeness.

If they do all survive, I guess I'm going to have to supply the office with fresh apples as there is no way I can eat them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?