Saturday 22 June 2013

Bind the Vine

The Grape Vine is struggling. Not so much with growth, because that has really taken off, but with support.

Over the years it has basically been neglected, so it's strong growth has gone off in allsorts of directions, none of which are good. So trying to nurse it back into a decent shape and growth pattern is kind of hard. But one thing it does need is support.

And that is why I positioned my shed right there. The shed will become it's support. So I basically wrapped the shed in two lines of wire. Fully around the bottom half, and only half of the top. I left out the part where the top wire would cross the windows.

The wire is supported by eye bolts screwed into all corners and the wire wrapped around those. This should give it support and also has the added benefit of holding the shed together... my handy work was not the best when I put it up. I blame the fact that I was trying to erect it in almost sub zero temperatures.

Meanwhile the artichoke has rocketed since I took care of the blackfly problem. It stands nearly 6ft tall now. It's hard to see the scale in the picture, but I am almost eye-to-eye with those nicely forming flower heads.

Some thing else has taken off like a shot. That damned bindweed. In the spot between the beds and the "mound" it has gone rampant.

But there may be a solution. A new toy came into my hands in the form of a brushcutter. It doesn't really belong to me, as I bought it on behalf of the allotment committee. But since they haven't yet paid me back for it. I'm going to let rip.

It's really needed to sort out the paths and walkways. But if we ever do another plot clearance then we're definitely going to need it. Especially if we have to clear this one.

Much fun to be had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?