Monday 6 May 2013

An extraordinary thing...

Imagine my surprise. a British Bank Holiday completely unspoilt by rain. Time for a trip down the allotment.

Well there is plenty to do. Firstly the warmer weather means that the greenhouse is getting hot. Almost too hot. Time to put the window in that I missed off when I built it.
 Ahhh, feels a little cooler now. But at least the warmth in the greenhouse has sent to seedlings off on a massive growth spurt.
Time to get the next batch started so I have staggered plantings.
Oh, those Sweetcorn are doing well. (Front foreground above) time to take them out and put them in the ground.
At the base of each one, I also planted two or three peas. The idea is that the corn will grow up and shelter the peas somewhat as well as giving them something to climb around. It may not work but I have plenty of peas available for planting.

So what else needs doing? Ah yes, the other small apple trees need protection from the hoards of weeds.
Newspaper and then bark chips. Hopefully it will keep them at bay. The Apple is just coming into blossom now.
Maybe I should submit this image to the Monthly Photo competition.

I really need to tidy the shed somewhat. Bit of a mess in there.

The rhubarb has gone rampant. It's almost ready to harvest the first stems.

And finally there is that big mound of soil that is sitting in the middle of the plot.

I kind of messed up when I got the digger in to deal with this. I should really have put it to the side of the plot where I could throw a weed proof membrane over it and use it to grow courgettes. Fortunately there is somebody else on site who has hired a mini-digger. 15 minutes later and it's all shifted.

Of course the uncovered ground now makes excellent hunting grounds for my new little friend.








No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?