Saturday 13 April 2013

Bits and pieces

It's raining. Not heavily, but enough to be annoying. So I decided that today would be light work and nothing to to with digging. So first thing I went off to B&Q to get some bits. First on the list was a wheel barrow. Last year I borrowed my neighbours barrow (from plot 31). But they have given up and handed back their plot and we have new tenants. So I am barrowless. Not good. I only need a cheap one. So the cheapest they have comes in bits.
How hard can it be? I've put up a shed and a greenhouse which are harder. The "instructions" are not very clear and a more of an exploded parts list. So I started putting the main pieces onto the barrow frame, leaving the wheel till last. Bad move. Tip for the future, if ever you are going to build one... make sure you do the wheel first before you get anywhere near the actual barrow part itself. The frame can be pushed and pulled as necessary, but the wheel axle needs to be correctly fitted to make the whole thing work.

Any how, after a bit of juggling with bolts and a couple of scuffed knuckles, I now have a barrow.
I also bought a lock for the shed. Have to deter the would be thieves somehow.
And finally some cheap hose. When I bought the greenhouse, I opted to pay the extra £9 to have downspouts for the gutters. Waste of money. The downspouts are way to short and useless being all of about 1ft long a stiff plastic, albeit with a few clips and clamps to hold it in place. Cutting a short piece off a hose pipe is a much better option.
At least now I can collect the annoying rain from the roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?