Monday 14 January 2013

Looking sorry for itself

The winter hasn't been kind.

It's been a typical British Winter. ie. Rain, Rain, dampness and more Rain. All in all it has meant that I still haven't been able to get that huge pile on the allotment sorted out. So when I recently popped in to check everything out, I notice that there is now a light coat of green over the pile. This in the dreaded couch gross trying to re-assert itself again. Well it's not going to happen.

In part of the plot which has been cleared, the constant rain has turned it to a sodden mess. There is now a faint soft sheen of mud across the lower areas showing faint footprints on the foxes. Yes, they're back. After the digger came in and ripped up their old place they moved out. But now they have dug themselves into the soil mound. Well sorry you four footed foxy friends, but as I clear that down you're going to have to move again. Guess I need to get that shed up so you can move in down below.

But the Winter months allows me to asses what I will be growing over the next year. What I want to grow is heirloom varieties of veggies. Why? Well for starters why grow common varieties which you can buy at the supermarket? Possibly they could be grown tastier given the fact that a lot of veggies are picked whilst unripe and left to ripen in transit, but there is no way a small scale grower could compete with modern farming techniques. It's a losing battle. So it's better to go for better taste in terms of plants that you would never come across in the grocery aisle.

That's not to say that I won't be growing stuff that we wouldn't eat. That is just pointless. So have been trawling through a couple of seed sites to determine exactly what would be suitable. Two of the most useful are Real Seeds and Just Seed. I think I will end up ordering from both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?