Sunday 8 July 2012

The Shed - Part 2

The weather has kept me out of the allotment. It doesn't know whether to rain or to be sunny. But it seems to be erring on the side of rain. But today the rain seemed to hold off for a while and patches of blue sky promised a decent time down the allotment.
I have been trying to get a base for the shed from either B&Q or Homebase. But to be quite honest I am disappointed with their setup. Their websites showed that they had a base for a 6ft x 4ft shed in stock (both of them) but when I went to them the article in question could not be found. Rather than wait for them to pull their fingers out I decided to make my own base. After all, how hard could it be?
The cleared space for the shed.

So I decided to get the basics from B&Q at New Malden since it was the closest supplier. The main problem is that the soil quality is excellent for growing. Meaning it's nice and soft. Not the ideal sort of thing for making a shed base. So I opted for fence posts.
The basics.

6 fence post supports, the kind you hammer in, will support 3 8ft fence posts. Across those will rest 5 5ft fence posts. The posts you hammer in needed a small amount of wood in them. So I bought an extra 5ft post to saw off small 7 inch sections.
The start of the frame.

I managed to hammer in the four corner posts and get everything position. Unfortunately dark skies loomed - the very same skies which caused the rain break at the Wimbledon Men's final. I had just about managed to get things covered up and all the tools back into the car before it started throwing it down. Ah well, at least I got some of it sorted.
Rain stops play.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?