Saturday 30 June 2012

The Shed - Part 1

There is only so many times you can get yelled at by the wife for storing the tools in the hallway and/or the car. So I need to have a good place where they can be locked up. Not only that, but putting a shed on the allotment means I can then start rain-water harvesting off the roof and perhaps install a solar dryer in it. All in all a welcome addition to the plot.
So I've decided that the shed should go next to the grape vine. It needs a good clear out of the surrounding weeds and grasses so that I have a nice level base to put it in. Not only that, but I intend the shed to be the future home of the foxes. So it will have to be installed properly.

First I need to clear a bit of space. The vine was previously staked but during the years of neglect it has fallen over and grown any old which way it pleases. It's going to take a ruthless bit of pruning to get it into a somewhat manageable state. Thats not too much of a problem though. it is well established, and should be able to handle a little rough and tumble.

So now I have an area cleared. The cheapest shed that I can find at B&Q is a 4ft x 6ft shed. So that is the space I have cleared. I will nip down there tomorrow to buy the base, and probably fit the rest of it next week. Though if I manage to get the base fitted early enough in the day, I may have time to re-visit to buy the rest. Either way, having a shed should be the first steps to really feeling that I really own the plot.

The first harvest. No, it's not my Rhubarb. This was donated by my neighbour who is over grown with the stuff. So tonight's dinner is veggie sausages, mash potato, beans, and stewed rhubarb for dessert. Looking forward to it. That is if the other half gets back from the tennis at a decent time.