Wednesday 6 June 2012

Clearing the Plot - Part 1

So the Plot needs clearing. Not having the necessary equipment, I troop off down to B&Q. They don't sell sickles. They do sell expensive strimmers though but I don't want to spend that much money. So in the end I go for a pair of long handled angled shears and a rake.
The shears make short work of the long grass and I can now begin to find what was left there before. Unlike the previous plot which had been abandoned for years, this one was worked on until it was left a couple of years back. But buried down in the grass are old timbers which may have been part of previous beds. Bit difficult to say really until I can clear more.
I am also finding old compost bags and carpet. I suspect this was used as a weed suppressor. All well and good really, until the weeds take hold and start growing through the carpet. I now have a single large weed bound mess which all comes up as a single (heavy) mass. Fortunately secateurs (last used on the old plot to get rid of brambles) break it up into manageable chunks.

So after the first day I end up with...
Those compost bins are a couple I dug out of the grasses. You can just about see the tops of them in the previous post. The one on the left is full of grass cuttings. I suspect I have far too much greens in that bin and it won't make for a good compost. But at this stage I don't really care. I just want to get it cleared so I can start turning it over.
And from another angle we have...
There is still much to do. But I'm all hot and sweaty and in definite need of a shower and something cool to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?