Saturday 30 June 2012

Blog Roll: Onestraw Rob


Every now and again, I will be introducing you to Green, Eco, or Sustainable style Blogs around the Internet that I read. Today it's time for:

One Straw.


Why I read it:
I first came across Rob and his Straw when he started building his "midden". Now I love a good tinkering around, especially if it involves something out of the ordinary. Building something like that, which can heat water and turn into useful compost at the same time is pretty unusual. But Rob went away and just did it. Yes there were hiccups and issues, but the whole thing was an experiment.
But on top of that Rob does some damn good farming, albeit on a small scale. This is exactly the sort of thing which people should really learn about if they want to have a productive food garden. I have taken a lot of his ideas and will be incorporating them into my own small allotment.

Regularity of updates: Irregular.
When Rob is on a roll he can post on an almost daily basis. But there are times when he goes a couple of weeks without posting anything.

What's Good:
Everything. Not only does he deal with his own small plot, but he also deals with the local community. Especially when doing his community good, means he gets something for free. Such as when he collects their tree fellings, and then uses it to make his garden better.

What's Bad:
Rob at times seems to be a Jack of all Trades. This is not necessarily a bad thing. But there are times when I wish he would assume that everybody lives in the US and can live by his rules.

Be the change.