Wednesday 16 November 2016

Allotment Week - Day 3 - Construction begins

Last night it rained. No big deal surely? Err. No. Ever tried sawing damp wood? Not nice. The saw kept getting stuck as I was attempting to get it chopped to the right lengths. But I eventually managed to get the planks into the 5 & 3 lengths.

Putting things together started to go a little easier. Although I did make a change to how I usually build. In previous builds I used two screws per plank. But this time I decided to only go with one because this time the build is a little larger than normal.

I put down a weed membrane over the area because there is still this very large issue with bind weed and couch grass.

Then it's a matter of putting together the parts. I used the 3ft off cuts with the full 8ft lengths to make a start.

Just as an after thought, I placed some more of the 3ft lengths at the end as a kind of seat. Not sure what the other half will make of it, or indeed if she wants a seat area. But the option is always there if needs be.

I also mentioned whether I could build an "arch" over the entrance to the 'U' bed. She definitely liked that idea. And it might be a little easier because somebody threw away a whole load of willow branches.

It's not the first time I've scavenged bits from the waste bays. But maybe these will be just as useful. Need to go back to Wickes in the morning to get more wood... and more wood screws.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?