Sunday 3 April 2016

Start of seed sowing.

Yes, I realise that I'm late to the party when it comes to getting my seeds sown. Should have started at least a couple of weeks ago. The problem was that I couldn't get to the plot. I caught a cold, and being asthmatic it sort of hit me bad. So bad in fact that when I went to my local GP, he took one look at me and immediately called an ambulance to take me to hospital.

So everything plot related had to be put on hold. Fortunately this weekend started out nice and sunny.

First off, our tried and trusted courgettes are started. This seems to be our staple on the plot as we have had huge successes with them over the years. It's a good job that we like courgettes as the plants are pretty prolific.

The ones in the pots are our normal variety. These are from seeds from two years ago, so whether they germinate remains to be seen. As for this years seeds, we need to get at them.

This giant courgette has been sitting on out kitchen cupboards since October last year and has kept nicely. I need to dry the seeds before shocking them into germinating.

Now the ones in the trays above, are actually a variety I found in Germany last year. They go by the name Autumn Wings. Not sure whether they're viable for eating, but they certainly look unique.

Also on today's planting menu we have the classic Boltardy Beetroot, and Sweet Tomatoes (which were some freebie seeds given away at the garden centre).

That and the over wintered strawberries means that it's starting to get a little crowded in the greenhouse now. Will have to finish building the strawberry net for the new bed and get them put outside. Some of them are already starting to flower.

Outside, the Big Rhubarb is started to show...

Whilst at the back of the plot, our Small Rhubarb is already producing an impressive display...

But there is still much to be done, because most of the plot still looks like a tip.

And then there are still a large amount of seeds to be sown. There is so much to do to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?