Sunday 20 April 2014

A soggy day down the allotment

I've been up in Lincolnshire for the past 3 days enjoying some excellent sunshine. On my way home last night, I stopped in at the allotment to give the plants in the greenhouse a quick watering. They were quite dry as the sunshine had been busy.

Not so today. The rain was pretty miserable. Just as well I had a lot to do inside. We have our plant sale coming up in May (May 17th if you wish to visit us!) and we have ordered a "few" plants. Yeah, "few". Make that a few thousand. These are plug plants. Plants grown in small plugs that need to be potted up into something bigger. So I raided the back store shed for some pots.

One little tray contains 72 Petunias. One of which obviously had failed, but the rest all need to be potted up. Simply fill a pot with compost, poke a hole in it and drop in the plug. Press firmly to seat it and you're done.

Kind of back breaking work leaning over the bench. But it needs to be done. Perhaps I need a proper potting bench to help. Still it kept me busy for a while whilst the rain came down.

All potted up.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little dryer. I really ought to get started on those raised beds. Oh, and the strawberry box. And the hanging baskets. And the... good job I have the next couple of days off work. Got a lot of stuff to catch up on. Just hope the rain holds off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?