Saturday 22 March 2014

Blueberry bushes

Last week the final part of my order from Suttons was delivered. 3 Blueberry bushes. Now these plants like an acid soil. The so-called ericaceous soil. We do not have any such compost in the allotment shop so I had to head down to the Lower Morden Garden Centre to get some. Now this soil is lime free and appears to be made from, what I can only describe as ferns. It seems to be a strange sort of thing. But now being back home and a few helpful google searches later I understand why this is. It seems that in times gone past, ericaceous soil was made from peat. Well peat technically is a renewable resource, except the rate it renews at gets into the hundreds of years so it's not really a viable option. This Levington stuff is made from heather and tree bark. Anyhow, three new little bushes get a big pot of acid soil. I probably won't get any berries off them this year, but there is always next...

Also whilst we were there we bought a 6-pack. No not of beer. of Lavender. This fills the gap between the small rhubarb and the apple trees. Hopefully they will bush out a bit. In fact they need to bush out a lot to fill the gap.

Meanwhile, I have reset the leaning tower of water.
and planted my small yellow buddleja in between the tubs.
I'll have to keep it from getting swamped with all the stinging nettles. But thats no great hardship. It should soon grow a few long stems and take over that section. Careful origami of the stems should ensure that it doesn't spread and is self supporting.

Last week the foxes moved back in. Seems they have well and truly made themselves at home now. They have dug a back door to their mansion. Oh, and a side entrance. And a tradesman's entrance. And a sally port. And a small escape hatch on the top. I count no less than 6 entrances now. At least I can start sieving the soil they dug out to start filling my carrot and spud bags.

Meanwhile in the greenhouse there has been much sprouting of the seeds. But more of that after tomorrows session.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?