Sunday 18 August 2013

Bolting plants

Both the Rocket and Basil have bolted to seed. Not so much of a problem though, but I do need to collect all the seed.

The Rocket seeds are like small thin miniature pea pods on the flower stems. The seed inside is small. Incredibly small. So the first thing I do is start off by removing the pods. Once they have dried, the seeds should be easier to recover.

The Basil is a lot simpler as the seed stems can simply be snipped off and kept in a paper bag. In fact these lants are from seeds from previous year where I grew them on my window sill. One thing you can always guarantee is a lot of seeds. Just wish I could guarantee a decent amount of Basil that will stay health and not bolt. Maybe I should just scatter the seed all over the plot and harvest as I need.

This last week saw the 1 month anniversary of putting the courgettes out. Since I did they have gone crazy. I have been giving away the courgettes to anybody who wants (mostly the neighbours) as well as making the courgette loaf. Following on from a "complaint" from work (I said last week that I should bring the loaf in on Monday and I didn't) so instead I brought a loaf in on Friday. It seemed to be very much appreciated.

Next attempt is the making of courgette pickle. At least I have more than enough to spare. Oh, and I've left a few to grow into full marrows. I'll see how those turn out.

We had a Committee meeting last week. We have new height barriers fitted to the gate way to the East Side. Seems a little low to my mind.

But at least the bees are appreciating the artichoke flowers. Bees? That one isn't. But it's bigger than any bumblebee.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?