Monday 1 April 2013

Allotment Week - Round up

Since last Tuesday I've spent everyday on the allotment. And let me tell you it's been cold. Spring this year has been somewhat delayed but it seems everybody is in the same boat. There have been few of my fellow allotmenteers around. Those hardy (foolhardy?) people who want to get out and about and risk frostbite in their extremities. OK, I exaggerate it a bit but over the week I have made a great deal of change to the plot.

The shed is up.
The greenhouse is up.
Also today I scavenged a few pallets from outside the Wimbledon Theatre. Not you normal shipping pallets where there are great big holes in the wooden slats, but these were tightly placed together. I got three of them. One of which has been placed on top of the crate which the greenhouse glass came in, and has instantly turned into a table. The other two... well we'll see.

One last thing to sort out on the allotment today. My poor old artichoke. Seems that it's getting a little swamped by the couch grass.
So I cut a slot and hole out of some of the cardboard wrapping the glass came in and created a small mulch to keep the grass down a bit. Not sure how much it will help, but I'd rather keep this little plant alive.
I've also stared shovelling the mound of soil into a better position where it can be covered with weed membrane and planted. Wish I had thought of this trick when I had the old digger around. Would have been easier back then.
Ah well. Back to work tomorrow. But I'll have the staging for the greenhouse delivered on Wednesday. Built on Saturday. Or maybe, given that we're now in British Summer Time, I could build it in the evenings. Did somebody mention Summer? Where?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?